Club history continued…

The first league game was played against Olympic in the South Parklands on the 16th of April. The results were 3-3. The club wrote to the Salisbury Football Club in Wiltshire, England and became a sister club to its namesake. The English club gave the local club strips to the value of £65 and two footballs. The strips consisted of white shirts, black shorts, and black with white hooped socks and were worn for the first time on the 3rd of June. By 25th June a junior team had been formed making 5 teams in the league. Four schoolboy teams also participated. The season ended with Salisbury United topping the competition and winning the Gregory Cup.

(Promoted in Div. 1 in place of Edinburgh who declined promotion after finishing 2nd)

Promotion to Div. 1 at the end of the 1958 season saw United spend £1,000 on lighting and ground improvements. With the assistance of the district council, a new surface was prepared and the surrounds enclosed with a fence.


1960 was a very disappointing season with the club finishing bottom and relegated to Div. 2.The Club was back to where it all started after being relegated to Div. 3 at the end of 1964.

1968 saw the club win promotion to Div. 2, John King, a Welsh International scored 36 goals, a record that still stands today. In 1969 the club changed to an all Royal Blue Strip.


In 1972 the council built new brick change rooms. The club continued to use the original shed as change rooms with the new building being used solely as a clubroom.

During 1974 a proposal to construct new clubrooms, incorporating a grandstand had to be shelved because of the spiralling costs.

In 1975 the club was once again relegated to Div. 3.

The club went straight back up into the 2nd Div. by winning the league in 1976.

1979 saw the start of a new era with the arrival of Steve Jarvis. Starting as a player his influence was immediate as things began to change on and off the park. The club made the Federation Cup semi-final and the 1974 proposal for new clubrooms with a grandstand was revived.

The complex cost around $250,000 and was financed by a government subsidy from the State unemployment relief scheme and a loan from Salisbury Council. Building started at the end of season in1979.


In June 1980 the new building was completed.
The end of 1981 saw key changes in coaching and playing personnel with Steve Jarvis retiring as a player to take up the coaching job. The club improved greatly on its 1981 performance finishing 3rd in the league and winning the 2nd Div. Cup. Key recruitment and the implementation of a youth policy had the club building for success.

1983 was a great year for the club winning the 2nd Div. and earning promotion to the first Div. in its own right for the first time. During the second half of the season the team did not concede a goal (12 game run). It also made the final of the Federation Cup loosing to Beograd (1st Div. Champions) 1-0 and by the same margin in the Charity Cup Final (also against Beograd).

The club finished 6th in its first year back in Div. 1 and won the Inaugural West End Premier Cup.

On a sad note we lost the man that had worked so hard to get us there. Steve Jarvis passed away in May after battling cancer for nearly a year.

On the 30th March 1985 our first home game of the season (vs Hellas) was a special occasion with the pitch being renamed Steve Jarvis Park.

The club also made the 1985 season one to remember by winning the league in the final game of the year.

Needing to win to ensure the championship, striker Steve McNally obliged with the only goal of the match against local rival Elizabeth at Ramsay Park. The club was also a semi finalist in the Ampol Cup, the Coca-Cola Cup and won The Charity Cup. The reserve side also won its league.

In 1987 the club came close to winning Div. 1 again finishing runner up to a heavily N.S.L. experienced Hellas side.Things looked promising for the 1988 season with the club finishing runner up to Hellas in the Ampol Cup.


Paul Wilde becomes the clubs first ever winner of the leagues highest individual honour – The Foundation Player of the Year.

In 1991 the club won the Coca- Cola Cup beating local rivals Para Hills 4-2. It also finished runner up once again to a W.A. Hellas full of N.S.L experienced players, and made the final of the Federation and the West End Cups only to be beaten 1-0 by Croatia and Azzurri respectively.

Bryn Acton and Jeff Tyson topped the league goal scoring list.

The first ever, Top 5 finals play-off system was introduced to the S.A. Leagues in 1992. The club made the play-offs but was beaten in the elimination final by Beograd and so finished the season in the 5th position.


Tony Gasparetto wins player of the year.

Chris Manolev awarded coach of the year.

Trent Brotherton wins 1st Div. U/19 player of the year.


Runner up Federation Cup

Angelo Costanzo wins Premier League Player of the Year

Mike Rann becomes club patron

Premier League introduced (8 teams)

Club given nickname and logo – The Bears


Sir Bobby Charlton becomes a Vice Patron

Club Amalgamates with Central District APAC

New Nickname and logo – The Apaches


Relegated to 2nd Division



Club celebrates 50th Birthday with a player’s reunion in October


Salisbury United wins 3rd Division.


Club redevelopment begins.


Club relegated to State League.


Salisbury United back button

Salisbury United home page